8/17/21 - In accordance with guidelines from the CDC and the Ohio Department of Health, Knox Public Health is beginning to schedule appointments for a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
A third dose of vaccine is available for those who meet certain medical criteria and have already received two doses of either the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. The third dose must be from the same manufacturer as the first and second doses.
Presently, KPH only has Pfizer vaccine on hand. To schedule an appointment for the third dose, call 740-399-8008. KPH expects to have the Moderna vaccine available late next week.
The CDC has defined those eligible for the third dose as:
- Individuals undergoing active treatment for cancer (solid tumor and hematologic malignancies).
- Individuals who have received a solid-organ transplant and are taking immunosuppressive therapy.
- Individuals who have received a CAR-T-cell or hematopoietic stem cell transplant (within two yrs. of transplant or taking immunosuppression therapy).
- Individuals with moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (e.g., DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome).
- Individuals with advanced or untreated HIV infection.
- Individuals undergoing active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids (i.e., ≥20mg prednisone or equivalent per day), alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, cancer chemotherapeutic agents classified as severely immunosuppressive, tumor-necrosis (TNF) blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory.