The Environmental Health division monitors the proper treatment and disposal of all wastewater for household and small flow (semi-public) sewage treatment systems in a manner which will protect surface and groundwater from contamination. This program also reviews, inspects and regulates new sewage systems, replacement systems and sewage system alterations.
** State to propose new sewage rules **
The Ohio Department of Health is proposing new sewage treatment rules.
Click here for a draft copy of the new rules.
What We Do
- Investigate nuisances created by failing sewage systems.
- Issue permits for installation, alteration and abandonment of sewage systems
- Review sewage variance requests to present to the Board
- Issues permits for small flow (non-residential) sewage disposal systems for the
- Review plans for subdivisions without access to public water or sewer
- Review lot splits
- Provide consultations on proposed alterations or replacement of existing systems
- Inspect sewage treatment systems for real estate transfers
- Inspect pumper/tank trucks to assure proper cleaning, transportation and disposal methods
- Site Review - $285 (For new systems only. No fee for review of alterations.)
- Permit to Install for New Construction - $315
- Permit to Install for Alterations - $275
- Request for Loan Inspection Services
- Water Sample Only (Total Coliform- No Written Report) - $50
- Water Sample w/Written Report to Describe System - $100
- Sewage Disposal System - $150
- Sewage & Water System w/Written Report - $225
We accept cash, checks, money orders, debit or credit cards for payment.
- Make checks and money orders payable to the Knox County Health Department.
Sewage System Maintenance for Homeowners
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a site evaluation?
Complete and submit the Site Review Application
How do I get a sewage permit?
Complete and submit the Sewage Permit Application
What steps do I take to repair my system?
Process to obtain a site evaluation then apply for a permit to install
How do I get a real estate sewage inspection?
Complete and submit the Real Estate Evaluation Request Form. Fee is $150.
Association of Ohio Pedologists
National Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association
National Precast Concrete Association
National Sanitation Foundation
National Small Flows Clearinghouse
Ohio Environmental Health Association
Ohio Onsite Wastewater Association
OSU Soil Environment Technology Learning Lab