We serve everyone!
Services at the Knox County Health Department are available to everyone, regardless of income, age, race or sex. We serve everyone: the poor and the wealthy; the young and the old; the insured, the uninsured and the under-insured.
The Principles of Public Health Workers are:
- We believe in social justice in health. (The greatest good for the greatest number; fairness)
- We advocate for others.
- We believe good health care is a right. (Not just that health care is a right, but that everyone deserves good health care)
- We believe in the equity of access. (Everyone should be able to find and receive health care)
- We believe in government’s responsibility to provide protection.
For a complete list of the services we provide, see individual program areas.
Some of the services we provide include:
- Certified copies of birth and death certificates;
- Nutritional counseling for young mothers and their children (WIC);
- Breastfeeding counseling (WIC);
- Physical exams including those for employment and sports participation;
- Women’s health exams including pap tests;
- Immunizations for children and adults;
- Treatment for ear aches, sore throats, sinus infections, flu and colds;
- TB testing, tetanus shots, blood pressure screenings, lead testing;
- HIV/AIDS testing and counseling;
- Communicable disease investigations and follow-up;
- Coordination of treatment for children with special medical conditions (BCMH);
- Free smoking cessation program;
- Educational presentations for schools, youth programs and adult groups;
- Educational sessions and training for area residents, service providers and professional staff;
- Emergency exercises and disaster preparedness planning
- Provide child car seats and conduct car seat checks;
- Home health care including skilled nursing, physical, speech and occupational therapy, and home health aides;
- Inspections for food service operations, public pools and beaches, residential water and sewer systems, mobile home parks; campgrounds;
- Investigate nuisance complaints, animal bites, communicable disease;
- Spray for mosquitos
- Provide free radon test kits
We also work together with a variety of community partners to do the things we do, including:
- Public and private schools, preschools, daycare centers;
- Law enforcement agencies, emergency management, Homeland Security;
- Hospital, local healthcare providers, pharmacies, behavioral healthcare;
- Government officials, animal control, township trustees;
- Social service agencies, service clubs; churches
- Chamber of commerce, local businesses and industry;